History of the College


Central Ohio Technical College opened in 1971. The college offered six associate degrees in one building. Today, COTC helps thousands of students every year in more than 50 programs achieve their full potential at four campus locations and online.


Our Story

Newark Campus Established

The Newark “Branch,” as it was first known, began operations in September 1957 as The Ohio State University’s first off-campus, two-year accredited program. Newark’s old high school on West Main Street was “home” for evening classes from 1957 to 1965. In the fall of 1965, the program took on a new pace — a new name, a new home and its first full-time director. It then became The Ohio State University at Newark and moved to the Newark Senior High School campus on Wright Street.


COTC Timeline


  • Autumn – The Ohio State University Newark established, classes were held at the old Newark High School on West Main Street


  • October 27 – Founders Hall groundbreaking ceremony


  • October – Founders Hall opens


  • February 19 – OBR charters Central Ohio Technical College