Want to help others?

Earn an Associate of Applied Science in Human Services

Program Alert: Effective May 15, 2023, the human services program will be renamed the social work assistant program. This name change applies only to new students. Students currently enrolled in the program will finish their program of study under the human services title. 

The most rewarding aspect of a career in human services is the satisfaction of knowing that you are helping others and making a difference. Possible career paths include working with various populations as a social work assistant, chemical dependency counselor assistant, case manager, intake coordinator, group leader and many others. 

Why choose COTC?


  • Students have options to attend full time or part time, or they can complete an accelerated program.
  • Hands-on skills courses have evening options at the Newark campus.
  • The human services program can be completed on any of the four COTC campuses.

License/Credentialing Eligibility

  • Graduates who have successfully completed the program are eligible to apply for registration as a Social Work Assistant (SWA) through the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board.
  • Graduates who have successfully completed the program have fulfilled a portion of the requirements necessary for licensure as a Chemical Dependency Counselor Assistant and components of the Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor II (LCDC II) and prevention specialist certification through the State of Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board.
  • Graduates who have successfully completed the program are eligible to apply and take the examination for the HS-BCP (Human Services – Board Certified Practitioner).

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I take classes online or face-to-face?

At COTC students have the flexibility to take classes face-to-face and online. 

How quickly can I complete the Human Services program?

How quickly a student can complete the human services associate degree depends on whether a student attends full time or part time, or they complete the accelerated program. 

  • Students attending full time can complete the human services associate degree in two years. 
  • Students completing the accelerated program can complete the human services associate degree in five semesters or a year and a half.
  • Students attending part time can complete the human services associate degree in seven semesters or two and a half years. 

There are two certificates students can complete quickly, in just two semesters, in the human services program. 

Students who complete a certificate have earned credits that can be applied towards the Human Services associate degree.

    Where can I find a list of classes (plan of study) for the program I want to study?

    Each program at COTC has a plan of study that lists the courses students take to complete a certificate or degree. 

    The human services program has three certificate plans of study. Students who complete the certificates have earned credits toward the human services associate degree. 

    What type of financial assistance is available to help me pay for college?

    COTC awards $1 million in scholarships to students each year.

    Every student is encouraged to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for grants, scholarships and loans. 

    Students who complete a FAFSA are automatically considered for some scholarships. Other scholarships require an application. 

    Connect with the Office of Student Financial Services at 740.366.9435 or email NWK-studentfinancialservices@mail.cotc.edu.

    Can I pursue a bachelor’s degree after I complete the associate degree in human services?

    Students interested in continuing on to pursue a bachelor’s degree can consider transferring to a four-year college or university. COTC has several transfer agreements with four-year colleges.

    Students who know they want to pursue a bachelor’s degree in social work can also consider completing the Associate of Arts in Social Work. The Associate of Arts in Social Work is intended to transfer to any public, four-year college or university in Ohio. Students should only pursue this option if they know they want to continue to a bachelor’s degree. 

    What is the difference between the associate degree in human services and the Associate of Arts in Social Work? 

    Students should only pursue the Associate of Arts in Social Work if they know they want to continue on for a bachelor’s degree and do not want to work in the field immediately. 

    Which COTC degree is for me?

    What organizations are there related to the human services program?

    The Community Outreach Committee is a student organization that human services students who have a desire to help the local community can join. The group organizes volunteer events, plans fundraisers and helps raise awareness about social issues throughout local social services agencies.

    Students can also network with human services professionals by exploring the National Organization of Human Services.

    How do I get started at COTC? 

    Help us learn more about you by visiting our Future Students webpage, then follow the COTC Steps to Enroll to get started.