Student Loan Counseling


Students who borrow from the Federal Direct Loan Program are required to complete Entrance and Exit Counseling. These sessions are required by Federal Regulations and offer information relating to the terms and conditions of the loan programs and a student’s obligation when borrowing. The Office of Financial Aid is notified electronically when students have completed the required counseling.

Entrance Counseling is required for all first-time borrowers of a Federal Direct Loan while attending COTC. Failure to complete an Entrance Counseling session will prohibit the disbursement of student loan funds to the students’ account. To complete Entrance Counseling, students should go to, choose “Complete Entrance Counseling”, and follow the steps outlined

Once the Entrance Counseling is completed, students will be directed to sign the Master Promissory Note (MPN) electronically. Students may choose to print the MPN to sign and mail to the U.S. Department of Education. (Choosing to print, sign, and mail the MPN could delay disbursement of student loans if the MPN isn’t received by the Department of Education in a timely manner.) 

Exit Counseling is required of all loan borrowers who graduate or drop below half time status (less than 6 credit hours). For Exit Counseling, go to, choose “Complete Exit Counseling”, and follow the steps outlined. An Exit Counseling session will provide information concerning the terms of a student’s loan, indebtedness, repayment and debt management. Students who do not complete the Exit Counseling will not receive their diplomas or academic transcripts from COTC. Failure to complete Exit Counseling may also delay future disbursement of aid at COTC. If you prefer a paper copy of the Direct Loan Exit Counseling Guide, you may download the PDF version from the website. An alternative to fulfilling the Exit Counseling requirement electronically, you will need to read the guide, complete the Student Contact Information and Acknowledgment, and return it to the Office of Financial Aid.