Nursing – Basic Health Care Skills Short-Term Certificate
2023-2024 Central Ohio Technical College
Successful completion of this course prepares the student to register for the State Tested Nurse Aide (STNA) examination.
This course prepares a basic health care worker with skills required by the Training and Competency Evaluation Program (TCEP) prior to gaining eligibility to become a State Tested Nurse Aide (STNA) and/or to employment as a home health aide. Content includes communication, infection control, safety and emergency procedures, promoting residents’/clients’ independence, respecting residents’/clients’ rights, basic nursing skills, personal care skills, providing care in a home setting, mental health and social service needs and basic restorative services. College lab permits development of various basic nursing skills. These skills are then implemented during a clinical experience in a local health care facility.
Prerequisite: Must be 16 years of age or older to enroll. A two-step Mantoux test for tuberculosis must be completed by the first day of class. A criminal background check (BCI) is required within six months of starting this course. Results must be available by the first day of the class. Students are required to wear a specified uniform. Course is graded on an A-F basis.
Requirements for this Certificate
Ohio Department of Health Requirements
- Attendance at the first 16 hours of the course is mandatory in order to continue in the course.
- A physical examination (within the last six months).
- A two-step Mantoux TB test prior to the first clinical.
- Attendance in lecture, college lab and clinical equal to 75 hours.
Central Ohio Technical College Requirements
- Professional uniform and shoes are required to attend off-campus clinical settings.
- Identification badge issued by COTC to be worn during all clinical experiences.
- Own transportation is required to attend off-campus clinical settings.
- Clinical times may vary from scheduled class time.
- State testing examination is available at completion of course; cost is determined by the testing company.
- Applicants to the COTC Nursing programs must be certified with STNA.
Course Goals/Objectives of this Certificate
- Identify Ohio Department of Health requirements for State Tested Nurse Aide (STNA) and requirements for home health aides.
- Discuss aspects of communication important to nurse aides.
- Identify important reasons for infection control procedures.
- Discuss safety and emergency precautions.
- Explain ways to promote the client’s independence.
- Identify legal rights of the nursing home resident and home care client.
- Complete basic nursing care skills at a satisfactory level.
- Discuss theory related to performing basic nursing care skills.
- Identify needs of an aging resident relating to mental health and social services.
- Recognize basic restorative services available to nursing home residents and disabled clients in the home.
- Discuss important differences between care in a nursing facility and care in the client’s home.
- Clinical site orientation is mandatory.
- All lab returns must be completed prior to the clinical experience.
- A total of 80 hours in attendance, including class, lab, and clinical, is required to receive a passing grade in this course and a completion certificate from the Ohio Department of Health.
- Employment opportunities are available in long-term care facilities, hospitals, assisted living facilities, residential care facilities, and home health care settings.
Basic Health Care Skills
This certificate is not currently eligible for Title IV financial aid.
Courses may have prerequisites. Please check course description to view all prerequisites and requirements.
The College Reserves the Right to Change Curricula without Notice
Published date – March 2022
Office of Academic Affairs