Military, Veteran and Dependent Educational Benefits

Close-up photograph of a man in military uniform holding books in front of an American flag.

There are several federal and state of Ohio VA Education Benefits available for COTC students depending on military branch and length of service. The Department of Veteran Affairs determines your GI Bill ® availability after submitting your VA application and provides you with a Certificate of Eligibility for your education benefits. The COTC veteran and military team are here to help you determine the best option available for you based on your current military status, career and future education goals.

How to Apply for your VA Education Benefits and eBenefits

Use the following links for information on how to apply for your VA Education Benefits

Apply for GI Bill® Education Benefits:

Change your GI Bill® School or Program:

Verify school enrollment (WAVE) required for Chapter 1606 and Chapter 30: or 1-877-823-2378

Transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to spouse or dependent: *Note, dependent will need to complete VA Form 22-1990E AFTER DOD approval is received.

Check Post-9/11 GI Benefits award:

Federal Tuition Assistance:

Ohio National Guard Scholarship:

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Benefits:

MyCAA Military Spouse Education Benefits:

Ohio DOE HigherEd – Education for Veterans:

Department of Veteran Affairs VA Education Benefits: 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551) M – F 8am to 7pm EST.

COTC Required VA Forms

The COTC VA forms listed below need to be completed, signed, and returned each Academic and Financial Aid Year (Summer to Spring semesters) to the COTC VA School Certifying Official (SCO). Once the COTC VA forms and Certificate of Eligibility are submitted to the SCO, your enrollment hours will be reviewed and certified for each semester you are enrolled from Summer to Spring semesters. It is your responsibility to notify the SCO of any enrollment changes before and during the semester (added or removing classes) to avoid under or overpayment of benefits which could result in a debt owed to the VA or COTC. If you decide to completely withdrawal or not attend a semester, you are to notify the SCO immediately.

The VA pays a monthly stipend based on credit hours of enrollment and the following chart shows the proration:

Full-time                   12+ credit hours                                          3/4 time                     9 to 11 credit hours                 

1/2 time                     6 to 8 credit hours                                       1/4 time                     1 to 5 credit hours

*The Post-9/11 GI Bill® requires 6.5+ credit hours to receive any monthly housing stipend. Book stipend amount will be based on credit hours of enrollment.

VA Mandatory Rules and Requirements

A plan of study must be declared to receive your VA benefits. You will need to list your plan of study on the COTC Enrollment Form and confirm with your academic advisor it is listed correctly. Only certain COTC Certificate Programs are approved for VA Education Benefits. Be sure to check with the SCO about approved plans of study. 

The VA will only pay for courses required for graduation listed on your plan of study. The VA will not pay for courses that you have already successfully completed (including transfer credits). You will need to request transcripts from your high school and any previously attended institutions, including DoD coursework. Course attendance is mandatory, and VA benefits may be suspended if you do not attend class. VA benefits may not be used to Audit (attend, but do not receive grade) a class. If our records show your instructor has reported as not attending your class and you are administratively withdrawn as a result, the VA will be notified. Your benefit payments may be impacted as a result.

The VA will only pay the in-state tuition rate. You will need to verify with your academic advisor whether you are considered an in-state student or if you need to submit a residency application no later than the first day of classes for the semester. COTC Residency Requirements

DoD transcripts

Due to recent changes within the Ohio Department of Higher Education regarding military transfer credit, you may need to request additional transcripts beyond your Joint Service Transcript (JST) from your military record of service.

In years past, all military schooling appeared on the JST. However, the Department of Defense (DoD) in working with the American Council on Education separated their own DoD schools so that they no longer appear on the JST. These entities all have their own ACE transcript from the ‘National Guide’ and not the ‘Military Guide’. However, since these are DoD schools they should be considered as military institutions and treated as military credit. Service members or veterans who have this training would have to request their Joint Service Transcript AND their transcript from the appropriate DoD school.

Some, but not all DoD schools, are listed below:

  • Defense Acquisition University
  • Defense Cyber Investigation Training Academy
  • Defense Information School
  • Defense Contract Audit Institute
  • Defense Threat Reduction Agency / Defense Nuclear Weapons School
  • Defense Institution of Security Assistance Management
  • Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute

Veteran Readiness and Employment – Chapter 31

Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment or VR&E) may be available for veterans with an established employment handicap resulting from a service-connected disability. To find out qualifications and requirements, please visit <link> on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Post-9/11 GI Bill® – Chapter 33 and Fry Scholarship

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® is available to service members if you served on active duty after September 10, 2001. The Post-9/11 GI Bill® will assist with tuition, lab and course fees while enrolled at COTC and is the only GI Bill® to provide a textbook stipend based on credit hours of enrollment. The college directly receives payment of tuition cost based on percentage of eligibility determined by the VA. It also provides a prorated monthly house stipend if the student is enrolled 6.5 credit hours or more. To find out qualifications, determine if you are eligible and submit your application, please visit <link> on the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs website.

If you are a qualified service member, you can transfer all or a portion of your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to a qualified dependent. More information can be found <link> *Note, dependent will need to complete VA Form 22-1990E AFTER DOD approval is received.

If your parent or spouse died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, you may qualify for the Fry Scholarship benefit as part of Chapter 33 benefits. More information can be found <link>

Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve – Chapter 1606

The MGIB-SR program is primarily available to service members of the Selected Reserve of the Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Army or Air National Guard. The benefit may only be used for an approved degree or certificate program. The benefit may be used in conjunction with Ohio Guard National Guard Scholarship. The benefit cannot be used in conjunction with Chapter 31 or 33 benefits. The benefit is paid directly to the student based on credit hours of enrollment and the student must verify enrollment each month using WAVE or calling 877-823-2378. To find out qualifications, determine if you are eligible and submit your application, please visit <link> on the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs website.

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) – Chapter 35

The DEA Chapter 35 program is available for qualified survivor or dependent (spouse or child) of a Veteran or service member who has died, is captured and/or missing, or has disabilities. If you qualify, the benefits cannot be used in conjunction with the Fry Scholarship. In most cases, it is a one or the other benefit if you qualify for both DEA and Fry Scholarship. The student receives monthly payments directly from the VA based on eligibility determination. To find out qualifications, determine if you are eligible and submit your application, please visit <link> on the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs website.

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

FTA is available for qualified service members serving in the Army Reserve National Guard (ARNG) and meets the mandatory requirements of either Tier 1 or 2. FTA covers only the instructional fee of the base tuition and there is a cap amount each federal fiscal year (October to September). To find out qualifications, determine if you are eligible and how to submit your application, please visit

For more information, please visit COTC’s Ohio National Guard Scholarship Program​

Army National Guard Education Handbook

Army IgnitED Hip-Pocket Guide

Ohio National Guard Scholarship (ONGSP)

The Ohio National Guard Scholarship pays for the instructional and general fee of each semester. The student is responsible for any lab, course, assessment, and acceptance fee based on course registration. The student must submit the application online via

For more information please visit COTC’s Ohio National Guard Scholarship Program

MyCAA – Military Spouse Education & Career Opportunities

The My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible military spouses. The scholarship assists military spouses in pursuing licenses, certifications, or associate degrees necessary to gain employment in an occupation or career field. Spouses may use their My Career Advancement Account Scholarship funds at COTC for approved certificates and associate degree programs. To find out qualifications, determine if you are eligible and how to submit your application, please visit

Textbooks and Supplies

The Newark Campus Bookstore is owned and operated by Barnes and Noble is a separate entity from COTC and OSU Newark. A good estimate in planning for textbook and supply purchases is approximately $200 per course, depending on course registration. You can locate textbook information, required and recommended course material and price estimates at this location. You’ll search by term, department, course, and section to locate materials. 

Tuition and Fees

Tuition, lab, course, assessment, and miscellaneous fee information can be found at tuition and fees. Each semester is billed individually and is based on plan of study and course registration. Most of our health science and public safety programs do have additional fees which is dependent on course registration. 

Living on Campus

The COTC Newark campus does have residence halls located on campus which are owned and managed by The Ohio State University Housing and Dining Offices. If you are interested in living on campus, additional information can be found at and current housing rates at

Meal Plans are required if you reside on the Newark campus and are not offered to COTC students who are not residing on campus. Information about meal plans can be located at

If you decide you do want to live on campus, you will need to contact The Ohio State University Housing Office at or 614-292-8266 to have a contract sent to you.