Frequently Asked Questions


What type of financial assistance is available to help me pay for college? 

The addiction studies certificate is eligible for the short-term certificate grant available to students with demonstrated financial need as well as students who are currently in or exiting foster care. Each student may receive a one-time grant of up to $2,000 to assist with tuition and fees (does not include the cost of books and supplies). To be considered, students must submit and satisfy the requirements on the Short-term Certificate Grant Application or the Short-term Certificate Foster Youth Grant Application. 

Every student is also encouraged to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for grants, scholarships and loans. 

Students who complete a FAFSA are automatically considered for some scholarships. Other scholarships require an application. 

Connect with the Office of Student Financial Services at 740.366.9435 or email

Can I take classes online or face-to-face?

At COTC students interested in the addiction studies certificate program have the flexibility to take classes face-to-face or online.

Where can I find a list of classes (plan of study) for the program I want to study?

Each program at COTC has a plan of study that lists the courses students take to complete a certificate or degree. View the Addiction Studies Certificate plan of study.

Can I pursue an associate degree after I complete the certificate?

Students who complete the Addiction Studies Certificate are encouraged to continue because they are well on their way to completing the Associate of Applied Science in Human Services

How do I get started at COTC?

Help us learn more about you by visiting our Future Students webpage, then follow the COTC Steps to Enroll to get started.