Statement of Purpose
The purpose of the Forensic Science Technology program is to serve the unique needs of students who desire a quality education in the field of forensic science. Upon completion of this two-year degree program, students are well-prepared to transfer to a four-year college or university to continue their education towards a desired baccalaureate or higher degree in forensic science, pre-law, criminal justice, mortuary science, a medical field, or general sciences. Forensic Science graduates can also enter a police academy to prepare for a career in law enforcement.
At the completion of the Forensic Science Technology plan of study the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate competency in the collection, processing, analyses, and evaluation of evidence.
- Demonstrate competency in the principles of crime scene investigation, including the recognition, collection, identification, preservation, and documentation of physical evidence.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the scientific method and the use of problem-solving within the field of forensic science.
- Identify the role of the forensic scientist and physical evidence within the criminal justice system.
- Demonstrate the ability to document and orally describe crime scenes, physical evidence, and scientific processes.
- Identify and examine current and emerging concepts and practices within the forensic science field.