Frequently Asked Questions


What is the difference between being an Architectural Engineer and being an Architect?

Architectural Engineers focus on a building’s structural design to ensure it meets building codes and is sturdy and functional. Architects focus on designing a building’s look and style.

How quickly can I complete the Architectural Engineering Technology program?

Students can complete the Architectural Computer Aided Drawing (CAD) Certificate in just two semesters.

After completion of the Architectural CAD Certificate, students are well on their way to completing the Architectural Engineering associate degree.

The amount of time it takes a student to complete the Architectural Engineering Technology associate degree depends upon how many courses are taken per semester. 

Students who attend full-time (and take 3-5 classes on average per semester) will complete quicker than students who attend part-time (and take 1-2 classes on average per semester).

What classes do I need to take?

The courses students need to take to complete a certificate or degree are listed in a Plan of Study. The Architectural Engineering Technology Program has two Plans of Study. 

Can I take classes online or face-to-face?

Students at COTC have the flexibility to take classes face-to-face or online. The Architectural Engineering Technology program has courses that must be completed face-to-face for students to learn through hand’s-on experience and using equipment and technology in the Engineering program.

Are there any student organizations on campus related to Engineering? 

Current students in any Engineering program can join The Society of Engineering Technology (SET), a student organization for both COTC and Ohio State-Newark students. Students who are part of the SET can gain awareness of education and career opportunities available to their preferred engineering technology field. 

What type of financial assistance is available to help me pay for college? 

COTC awards a million dollars in scholarship to students each year!

Students are encouraged to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for grants, scholarships and loans. 

Students who complete a FAFSA are automatically considered for some scholarships. Other scholarships require an application. 

Connect with Student Financial Services at 740.366.9435 or email:

Can I pursue a bachelor’s degree after I complete an associate degree?

Students interested in continuing on to pursue a bachelor’s degree can consider transferring to a four-year college or university. COTC has several transfer agreements with four-year colleges.