Must be 16 years of age or older to enroll. A two-step Mantoux test for tuberculosis must be completed by the first day of class. A criminal background check (BCI) is required within six months of starting this course. Results must be available by the first day of the class. Students are required to wear a specified uniform. Course is graded on an A-F basis.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS for students registering in the Coshocton Campus sections of this course:
- A complete health physical must be completed by the first day of class. The Coshocton Campus Autumn Healthcare student will receive a booklet the first day of class which the student will keep as a reference.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS for students registering through COTC for the course at C-TEC includes:
- All students must either complete or place out of GENR-090 Integrated Reading and Writing I. Students must take a copy of their high school transcript, diploma or G.E.D. with them the first day of class.
This course prepares a basic health care worker with skills required by the Training and Competency Evaluation Program (TCEP) prior to gaining eligibility to become a State Tested Nurse Aide (STNA) and/or to employment as a home health aide. Content includes communication, infection control, safety and emergency procedures, promoting residents’/clients’ independence, respecting residents’/clients’ rights, basic nursing skills, personal care skills, providing care in a home setting, mental health and social service needs and basic restorative services. College lab permits development of various basic nursing skills. These skills are then implemented during a clinical experience in a local health care facility.
Requirements for this Certificate
Ohio Department of Health Requirements
- Attendance at the first 16 hours of the course is mandatory in order to continue in the course.
- A physical examination (within the last six months).
- A two-step Mantoux TB test prior to the first clinical.
- Attendance in lecture, college lab and clinical equal to 75 hours.
Central Ohio Technical College Requirements
- Professional uniform and shoes are required to attend off-campus clinical settings.
- Identification badge issued by COTC to be worn during all clinical experiences.
- Own transportation is required to attend off-campus clinical settings.
- Clinical times may vary from scheduled class time.
- State testing examination is available at completion of course; cost is determined by the testing company.
- Applicants to the COTC Nursing programs must be certified with STNA.
Course Goals/Objectives of this Certificate
- Identify Ohio Department of Health requirements for State Tested Nurse Aide (STNA) and requirements for home health aides.
- Discuss aspects of communication important to nurse aides.
- Identify important reasons for infection control procedures.
- Discuss safety and emergency precautions.
- Explain ways to promote the client’s independence.
- Identify legal rights of the nursing home resident and home care client.
- Complete basic nursing care skills at a satisfactory level.
- Discuss theory related to performing basic nursing care skills.
- Identify needs of an aging resident relating to mental health and social services.
- Recognize basic restorative services available to nursing home residents and disabled clients in the home.
- Discuss important differences between care in a nursing facility and care in the client’s home.
- Clinical site orientation is mandatory.
- All lab returns must be completed prior to the clinical experience.
- A total of 80 hours in attendance, including class, lab, and clinical, is required to receive a passing grade in this course and a completion certificate from the Ohio Department of Health.
- Employment opportunities are available in long-term care facilities, hospitals, assisted living facilities, residential care facilities, and home health care settings.
Basic Health Care Skills
This “program” is not currently eligible for Title IV financial aid.
* Courses may have prerequisites. Please check course description to view all course prerequisites and requirements.
The College Reserves the Right to Change Curricula Without Notice
Published date – January 2019
Office of Academic Affairs