The mission of COTC Academic Advising is to provide guidance to students in the development, implementation and achievement of their educational goals.
- We provide accurate and timely information regarding academic programs and college policies and procedures
- We offer guidance to enable students to make informed decisions
- We connect students to college and community resources
- We are friendly, accessible and supportive
What is academic advising?
Advising is a shared responsibility between the student and advisor. Your advisor provides guidance on developing meaningful academic and career goals, understanding degree requirements and navigating your college experience. Your advisor is committed to your personal and academic success and will assist you in achieving your goals.
Advisors are knowledgeable about academic programs, college policies and procedures, degree requirements and campus resources. Your advisor will help answer questions and refer you to appropriate resources as needed. Advisors assist with goal-setting, academic planning, course registration and more!
COTC requires all new and returning students to meet with their assigned Academic Advisor during their first semester of enrollment or re-enrollment.
Why should I meet with my advisor?
- Set educational and career goals
- Evaluate progress towards educational goals and develop an individual academic plan
- Check progress toward completing admission requirements to competitive, selective programs
- Discuss academic concerns or performance
- Discuss transfer credit and applicability to your program
- Ask questions about COTC policies and procedures
- Request referrals to campus and community resources
- Explore opportunities to shorten your degree pathway
- Schedule courses for upcoming semesters
- Discuss schedule changes, including withdrawals
- Ask about how to use
Who is my advisor?
Academic Advisors are available at each campus location. Once you register for your first course, you will be assigned to an Advisor based upon your campus location, veteran/military status and program. You can view your advisor and their contact information in by visiting your Student Planning. You can view your advisor by clicking on Advising.
How do I see my advisor?
- Schedule an appointment. Appointments are preferred so that you can have individual time with your assigned Advisor. Currently all appointments are being held virtually via Zoom or by phone. To make an appointment, contact your Academic Advisor directly or contact The Gateway front desk to be directed to your advisor.
- Remember to have the following for each advising appointment:
- Photo ID
- List of any questions or concerns you want to discuss
Meet the advising staff: