Statement of Purpose
The purpose of the peace officer basic training program at Central Ohio Technical College is to prepare qualified individuals for entry-level positions as peace officers through knowledge-based learning, demonstrated skills proficiencies, experiential learning through structural simulation, and practical experience in an ethical and professional manner consistent with federal, state and local laws enabling them to meet the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission requirements and allowing successful graduates of the program to take the state certification exam.
- Demonstrate competency requirements in entry-level positions as a certified law enforcement officer.
- Demonstrate knowledge through the study of general education courses with enhanced communications skills (both written and spoken) and a comprehensive knowledge of human behavior dynamics through the behavioral science courses.
- Identify and demonstrate problem-solving skills that will correlate to those they will be challenged by as a law enforcement officer upon employment.
- Perform their duties in an ethical and professional manner with highest regard for the U.S. Constitution and the rights of others.
- Develop independent and lifelong learning and working habits.
- Prepare to meet state requirements for state certification as a peace officer.