Frequently Asked Questions


Where can I find a list of classes (plan of study) for the program I want to study?

The courses students need to take to complete a certificate or degree are listed in a plan of study. 

Are there any age requirements to take classes in Law Enforcement Technology (LET)?

Students must be 18 to enroll in Peace Officer Basic Training.

If I am already a peace officer does that qualify me for college credit?

Students who are currently Ohio Certified Peace Officers may be eligible to apply credit to the peace officer basic training program but must provide documentation of current peace officer status.

Can I take classes online or face-to-face?

The law enforcement technology associate degree and the peace officer basic training certificate both include hands-on learning and some face-to-face classes. There are some online courses that can be taken as part of the law enforcement technology program.

What expenses are there in addition to tuition?

Students in the law enforcement technology associate degree program — and the Peace Officer Basic Training Certificate program — will be required to purchase and wear a uniform. 

What type of financial assistance is available to help me pay for college? 

COTC awards more than $1 million in scholarships to students each year.

Every student is encouraged to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for grants, scholarships and loans. 

Students who complete a FAFSA are automatically considered for some scholarships. Other scholarships require an application. 

Connect with the Office of Student Financial Service at 740.366.9435 or email

Can I pursue a bachelor’s degree after I complete an associate degree?

Students interested in continuing their education to pursue a bachelor’s degree can consider transferring to a four-year college or university. COTC has a transfer agreement with Tiffin University for law enforcement.

How do I get started at COTC?

Help us learn more about you by visiting our Future Students webpage, then follow the COTC Steps to Enroll to get started.