Who Completes the FAFSA?
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid will either be completed by an independent student, or a dependent student.
According to Federal Student Aid, an independent student is one of the following:
- At least 24 years old
- A graduate or professional student
- A veteran or member of the armed forces
- An orphan or a ward of the court
- Someone with legal dependents other than a spouse
- An emancipated minor
- Is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
According to Federal Student Aid, a dependent student is one who does not meet any of the criteria for an independent student.
Dependent students are generally relying on a parent or guardian financially. Dependent students completing the FAFSA will need parent information and both student and parent will need an FSA ID to file a FAFSA.