Welcome to the Tech Prep Program!
To earn both college credit and high school credit for a Tech Prep course the following criteria is needed:
- Take and complete a Tech Prep course with a current articulation agreement at your high school or career center
- Earn a "C" or better in the course
- Complete the articulation agreement grade sheet with your teacher's signature. Mail the completed form to:
Gateway - Records
Central Ohio Technical College
- 1179 University Dr
- Newark, OH 43055
- Complete the Application for Admission to COTC. Effective beginning the 2014-2015 school year, the $20.00 application fee is no longer charged to High School Options students.
- Complete a COTC course. This can be done either through one of our High School Enrollment Options programs or as a regular student after high school graduation. COMPASS or other placement assessment may be required to meet course prerequisites or program admission requirements.
How does the Tech Prep Program at COTC work?
Students must first complete the steps above. Once the student has successfully completed a COTC course and the college has received the completed articulation agreement, the student will be awarded "articulated credit" for their Tech Prep courses. Articulated credits are college credits that can be applied toward degree programs at COTC or transferred to other colleges, if the student decides to transfer.
What about grades?
At the end of the student's senior year, the student and high school or career center staff must fill out the articulation agreement grade form and submit it to COTC. Any course on the articulation agreement for which the student earns a "C" grade or better will be reflected on the student's COTC transcript with an "AA" notation.
How much does it cost?
There is a $20.00 application fee when the student applies for admission. The cost of the course depends on the credit hours of the course. Check our current tuition and fees for more information. If the student enrolls through another High School Enrollment Options program, the course may be taken tuition-free or at a reduced charge.
How do I transfer a course after high school graduation?
For students planning to attend Central Ohio Technical College after graduation, once articulated credit is awarded, there are no additional steps to have the credit transferred to a degree program. The application of articulated credit toward degree requirements will be automatic. Students will need to complete the High School Options Change of Status form to change from Tech Prep to a regular college student.
Students who choose to attend a different college after graduation, will need to request an official COTC transcript be sent to that college or university. The acceptance of transfer credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. To request a transcript, complete the Transcript Request form and return it to COTC, or complete the online request in my cotc.
What is CTAG?
A CTAG (Career-Technical Assurance Guide) may allow students to earn more credit than what is on their articulation agreement. To find CTAG’s that they may be eligible for, visit https://www.ohiohighered.org/transfer/ct2/approved
Find out more about Tech Prep in central Ohio at: www.techprepcentral.org