Dual Enrollment Students 

students button instructor button Administration button high school partners button parents button


Welcome to the Dual Enrollment Program!

Listed below are Dual Enrollment admissions requirements for high school students and online resources to help you be successful in your Dual Enrollment course.  Free online tutoring and other services are available to you.

Admissions Requirements:

To earn both college credit and high school credit for a Dual Enrollment course the following criteria is needed:

- Be a current high school student enrolled in an Ohio high school or career center
- 2.0 GPA 
- Minimal COMPASS Scores or ACT Scores if needed for course.
- Complete the
Application for Admission.

COMPASS Assessment Preparation

COMPASS Sections: Reading Comprehension and Pre-Algebra. Minimal scores vary depending upon the college course being offered at your high school. Take practice questions and review helpful videos before taking the COMPASS assessment on our COMPASS page.


How Does the Dual Enrollment Program Work? 

Students who participate in the Dual Enrollment program will need to meet the admission requirements above, and sign a registration form to enroll in a college course.  Registration forms, high school transcripts, and school counselor recommendation forms will be collected from the high school by the college.

If needed for the college course being offered at the high school, students will complete the COMPASS assessment.  COMPASS is a web-based placement assessment and is free of charge.  Students complete questions regarding reading comprehension and math.  COMPASS testing is scheduled at the high school for dual enrollment students.  ACT or SAT scores can be submitted in place of the COMPASS if students have taken the ACT or SAT.

Deadlines for these documents vary depending on when the course begins and are established individually with each high school and adjunct instructor.

What about grades? 

Once the student has completed the dual enrollment course, a grade is recorded on the COTC transcript. The grade received from the high school instructor is the grade that is recorded on the student's COTC transcript. Students will receive high school and college credit for the course.

What is the cost?

All dual enrollment courses are tuition free!

When is the deadline to register?

The registration deadline for each course varies depending on when the course begins. However, the COTC application, registration form and any necessary COMPASS scores, are due by the deadline to complete enrollment in the course.  

What is the difference between AP and Dual Enrollment? 

For dual enrollment students, the grade earned for the course is the grade reported on the Central Ohio Technical College transcript as well as the high school transcript.  Dual enrollment credits fulfill the course requirements and also apply toward the total number of credits a college requires for graduation in most instances.

AP credit is earned by a final exam taken at the end of the course. Not all students can demonstrate what they have learned by taking standardized tests. Students who plan to take the AP exam have only one opportunity to demonstrate success.  Dual Enrollment students are graded on all assignments throughout the term of the course and receive a course grade for their cumulative classroom effort, without the pressure of a final exam determining credit for the course.

Students who successfully pass the AP exam may have the course requirement waived by the college the student attends; however, it may not reduce the number of hours that the student needs to graduate from that institution.

What resources are available to COTC Dual Enrollment students? 

All Dual Enrollment students can obtain a COTC Student ID which provides full student privileges for the library, sporting events, and other campus student activities available on the Student Life portion of our website. Students can take advantage of the online resources which includes free online tutoring and Career Development services.  Free tutors are also available through the Center for Academic Success.

How do I transfer a course after high school graduation?

For students planning to attend COTC after graduation there are no additional steps to have the dual enrollment credit transferred to a degree program. The application of dual enrollment credit towards degree requirements will be automatic. Students will need to complete the High School Options Change of Status form to change from Dual Enrollment to a regular college student.

Students who choose to attend a different college after graduation, will need to request an official COTC transcript be sent to that college or university. The acceptance of transfer credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. To request a transcript, complete the Transcript Request form and return it to COTC, or complete the online request in my cotc.


The Newark Campus

1179 University Drive
Newark, OH 43055

The Coshocton Campus

200 North Whitewoman Street
Coshocton, OH 43812

The Knox Campus

236 S. Main St
Mount Vernon Ohio 43050

The Pataskala Campus

8660 East Broad Street
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068

If you have trouble accessing this page and need to request an alternate format, contact the Webmaster via email at webmaster@cotc.edu.