Students who attend Central Ohio Technical College on a student visa (M-1) are considered to be international students. International applicants who wish to be considered for admission to Central Ohio Technical College under the M-1 visa must submit the following documents:
1. Application for Admission with a $20 (U.S. dollars) non-refundable application fee.
2. All pertinent transcripts (secondary and college) with translation, if not in English.
3. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A minimum score of 550 is required on the paper version of the test, or a minimum score of 213 on the computer version, or a minimum score of 79-80 on the internet-based TOEFL. If the native language of the applicant is English, applicant must take the COTC Placement Tests and achieve minimum “Ability To Benefit” test scores.
4. Evidence of financial support while in the United States by completing the Financial Statement form. Applicant must certify that he/she will have adequate funds to pay for all school and living costs.
5. Complete the Affidavit of Support for Persons Sponsored by Personal/Family Funds.
6. All documents should be submitted at least three months prior to the start of the semester the applicant wishes to enroll. International students are assessed out-of-state fees.
For more information on other types of visas with which a person may be eligible to enroll, review the Immigration and Customs Enforcement document "Nonimmigrants: Who Can Study".
A student may receive transfer credit for courses taken at international colleges and universities. To receive consideration for transfer credit, the student must submit an official college transcript from each college for which transfer credit is being requested as well as an evaluation report of their transcripted college level studies from a professional credential evaluation company that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Companies who have memberships in NACES may be located on the NACES web site at http://www.naces.org.
International Student Responsibilities
Students must report the following information to the international advisor:
· Address change within 10 days of change to address
· Change in sources of financial support
· Change in course load
· Change in academic status i.e., academic probation
· Intent to travel outside the United States
· Application for change of immigration status
· Need to extend program
· Intent to transfer
· Change in dependent status
Rules and restrictions of an M-1 Visa
· Student must enroll as a full-time student (at least 12 credit hours) and maintain a full course of study until he/she completes the program of study
· May not be employed on or off campus
· May not make a change to his/her plan of study
· After completing a program of study the student has 30 days to depart the United States
· Student may not change his/her M-1 visa status directly to F-1 visa status
· Distance education courses may not be counted as part of an M-1 student’s full course of study (at least 12 credit hours each semester must be completed in-classroom)
· Student is not eligible for financial aid through Central Ohio Technical College