Before Orientation, you should have submitted your application for admission and completed the COMPASS placement assessment. Please note that placement assessment may be waived based upon ACT, SAT or previous college coursework completed at another college or university. To prepare for the placement assessment, please visit our online resource page.
Ready for your New Student Orientation? New Student Orientation is required for all students enrolling for the first time or returning to COTC after more than one year.
On-Campus New Student Orientation
Call the Gateway for Orientation dates and times at:
Newark Campus -740-366-9222
Knox Campus - 740-392-2526
Coshocton Campus - 740-622-1408
Pataskala Campus - 740-755-7090
Orientations must be scheduled by the Friday prior to the week you plan on attending orientation.
There are a set number of seats in each session.
**Information we will need to schedule your orientation**
1. Full Name.
2. Date of Birth (Month and Day).
3. COTC username and ID (instructions on how to set your COTC user account with student number and password were sent via your "Welcome to COTC" email. If you did not receive the email, it may be in your computer's SPAM folder. If you are unable to locate it, please call COTC's IT Helpdesk for assistance at 740-366-9244).
4. Program of Study (What you will be majoring in).
What you need the day of orientation:
1. Arrive 15 minutes prior to orientation in order to log into your computer and be able to register. There is a great deal of information to cover, and we want to be able to spend time with you to make registration a smooth process. DO NOT BE LATE.
2. Have your COTC username and password so that you can log in.
We look forward to seeing you at orientation. We are confident that it will be the beginning of a wonderful experience at COTC!
Online New Student Orientation
Students who are pursuing an online degree or are unable to attend an on-campus orientation are invited to complete the Online New Student Orientation. Please talk to the Gateway before starting the online orientation process to make sure you have completed all of the steps necessary.
1. Review the New Student Orientation presentation.
2. Complete the Online New Student Orientation Verification Form (available at the end of the New Student Orientation presentation).
3. Review the Student Reference Guide.
During Orientation, you will be given important information about the policies, programs and services offered at COTC. You will also learn how to use our on-line student portal and will register for your classes.
We want to help you to be successful at COTC. The information you will learn at New Student Orientation will give you the tools to take control of your education and your future.
How do you register for classes? Now that you have completed the New Student Orientation, you are ready to schedule your classes for the upcoming semester.
If you complete the on-campus orientation, you will be scheduling classes at the conclusion of the program. Gateway Advisors will be present to assist you in the registration process.
If you complete the online orientation, the Gateway will be notified via the Online New Student Orientation Verification Form and you will be sent an email confirming your eligibility to register online. It is recommended that you contact a Gateway Advisor for assistance in course selection your first term. You can schedule a face-to-face appointment, come to the Gateway during designated walk-in hours or schedule a phone appointment.
You are registered for classes - now what?
1. Get your Student Photo ID and Parking Pass. Contact the Gateway with instructions on how to get your Student Photo ID and Parking Pass.
2. Get your textbooks and class supplies from the Campus Bookstore.
3. Check my COTC for your Financial Aid status. You must make sure all documentation is submitted in order for your Financial Aid to be awarded.
4. Check your class schedule on my COTC prior to the start of the semester to determine your class locations. These locations are subject to change!
5. Make sure your tuition and fees are paid on time or you will incur late charges and face de-registration with additional fees to re-register. If you are anticipating Financial Aid, don't assume your tuition and fees are paid. Check your account on my COTC.
Your first semester has started - now what?
1. Attend class! Your academic success depends on your being present and engaged in the classroom. Taking online classes? Log into Moodle through my COTC on the first day of the term to explore your course, review your syllabus and learn about the course expectations. If you need additional assistance navigating Moodle, use the Moodle Help available in my COTC. Failure to attend your classes can result in loss of Financial Aid and a low grade!
2. Schedule a follow-up time with either your Gateway Advisor or Faculty Advisor to review your plan of study, plan and schedule for future semesters and make sure you are on the right track.
3. Pay attention to your progress in each course. If you are struggling, remember that there are resources at no charge to help you be successful, including Tutoring, Center for Academic Success, Learning Skills Specialist, Office for Disability Services and Library! If you are not sure how you are doing in your course, check Moodle or ask your instructor. You are responsible for your learning and success!