NEWARK, Ohio, , January 25, 2016 – Full-time students at Central Ohio Technical College (COTC) who have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher after completing two semesters of course work in one academic year will be rewarded for their hard work. The college is launching the Path to Success Scholarship. The scholarship will reduce the cost of a degree by more than 10 percent.
"Students who meet all of the qualifications will get a $1,000 scholarship," said COTC Financial Aid Director Faith Phillips. "For some students, this money will be crucial for them to be able to continue their college education and complete their degree."
Funding has been set aside from surplus reserves of the 2015 fiscal year for the purpose of creating the scholarship.
"Central Ohio Technical College managed its finances well, and this surplus was the result," said President Bonnie L. Coe, Ph.D. "We felt this money should go right back in to the heart of our institution – the students. The COTC Board of Trustees agreed with that. We all want to make sure we do everything we can to help our students succeed."
- Successful completion of two full-time semesters, (12+ credits) of the three terms in the 2016-17 academic year with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Eligibility could be from hours earned as a regular student or a College Credit Plus student at COTC.
- College Credit Plus student credit hours will be counted toward eligibility should they enroll at COTC post high school graduation.
- A student may receive this scholarship one time in their COTC academic career.
- Upon successful completion of two full-time semesters, eligible students would receive a $1,000 scholarship. The only requirement is to enroll for 6+ hours in the subsequent term.
The first possible semester for distribution of the scholarship will be spring of 2017. If this program is successful, surpluses in the future could be considered to continue this scholarship.
Central Ohio Technical College opened in 1971 and is celebrating its 45th anniversary in 2016. COTC is a fully accredited, public college dedicated to providing high-quality, accessible programs of technical education in response to current and emerging employment needs, as well as encouraging the professional development of students, staff, faculty and administrators to assist them in achieving their maximum potential. COTC is the only technical college in Ohio operating four full-service campus locations: Newark, Coshocton, Knox and Pataskala.