Academic Advising Mission Statement
of COTC Academic Advising is to provide guidance
to students in the development
of their educational goals
- We provide accurate and timely information regarding academic programs and college policies and procedures
- We offer guidance to enable students to make informed decisions
- We connect students to college and community resources
- We are friendly, accessible and supportive
What is academic advising?
Advising is a shared responsibility between the student and advisor. Your advisor provides guidance on developing meaningful academic and career goals, understanding degree requirements and navigating your college experience. Your advisor is committed to your personal and academic success and will assist you in achieving your goals.
Advisors are knowledgeable about academic programs, college policies and procedures, degree requirements and campus resources. Your advisor will help answer questions and refer you to appropriate resources as needed. Advisors assist with goal-setting, academic planning, course registration and more!
COTC requires all new and returning students to meet with their assigned Academic Advisor during their first semester of enrollment or re-enrollment.
Why should I meet with my Advisor?
- Set educational and career goals
- Review academic program requirements
- Develop an individual academic plan
- Check progress toward completing admission requirements to competitive, selective programs
- Discuss academic concerns or performance
- Evaluate progress toward education goals
- Discuss transfer credit and applicability to your program
- Ask questions about COTC policies and procedures
- Request referrals to campus and community resources
- Explore opportunities to shorten your degree pathway
- Schedule courses for upcoming semesters
- Discuss schedule changes, including withdrawals
How do I see my Advisor?
Schedule an appointment. Appointments are preferred so that you can have individual time with your assigned Advisor. To schedule an appointment, contact your local Gateway Office.
- For quick questions, you can drop-in to see an Advisor. Drop-ins are for quick questions or transactions, and you may not always be able to see your assigned Advisor due to drop-in availability and student traffic in The Gateway. Please note each campus will publish whether drop-ins are available.
- Remember to bring the following to each advising appointment:
- Photo ID to check in at the front counter
- Your orientation packet with your plan of study
- List of any questions or concerns you want to discuss
Who is my Advisor?
COTC has Advisors available at each campus location fully trained on all degree and certificate requirements and ready to help you be successful. Once you register for your first course, you will be assigned to an Advisor in The Gateway. Students are assigned based upon the campus location chosen on your application for admission, your last name and your military/veteran status. You can view your advisor and their contact information in myCOTC under "My Schedule and Personal Information". Your advisor will be listed under the "My Profile" Section, and there is a separate link for you to email your advisor directly.
Meet the Advising Staff