Statement of Purpose
The purpose of the Mathematics Discipline is to provide high quality, accessible math course that build a strong foundation for further math courses, support each technical program and further the personal goals of students.
To accomplish the stated purpose of the Mathematics Discipline, this department embraces the concept of quantitative literacy as set forth by the American Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges. As such, the following student learning outcomes are expected.
At the completion of the general education components relating to mathematics, the student will be able to:
- Examine and interpret mathematics problems to determine the applicable operations needed on an appropriate calculator to solve the problem.
- Select and perform correct mathematical operations relevant to various problems.
- Formulate mathematical strategies to find solutions to applied problems.
- Choose and apply suitable mathematical processes to solve problems in their technical programs.
- Communicate mathematical findings effectively.
- Demonstrate proper usage of available technology in the learning and application of mathematics.
Please contact the Gateway-Admissions Office, located on the Newark Campus in the Hopewell Mall (740-366-9222), for further information regarding the Mathematics course offerings at Central Ohio Technical College.