Surgical Technology - Statement of Purpose and Learning Outcomes
Statement of Purpose
The purpose of this program is to provide students with the general and technical education to function as safe, competent surgical technologist in entry level positions and give the community knowledgeable, competent and ethical professionals who can fulfill the community’s health needs.
At the completion of the plan of study the student will be able to:
- To apply a basic understanding of human physiology and surgical anatomy and use of appropriate medical terminology in the perioperative setting.
- To demonstrate theoretical and practical proficiency in surgical aseptic technique, surgical procedures and patient care.
- Demonstrates respect for the dignity and worth of the patient.
- To work cooperatively and become an integral member of the health care team.
- Demonstrate ability to practice independent clinical judgments under the supervision of the surgeon or Registered nurse.
- Demonstrate knowledge of instrumentation and use in surgical procedures during perioperative care.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the concepts of Pharmacology
- Assume a sense of responsibility, self-discipline, pride, teamwork, and enthusiasm
- Demonstrate effective communication skills
- To prepare competent entry-level surgical technologist in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
- Pass the Certification examination of the Association of Surgical Technologist