Program Educational Objectives
Program Educational Objectives describe what a student is expected to be able to do 3-5 years after graduation.
- Successfully apply fundamental mathematical, scientific, and engineering technology principles in formulating and solving mechanical engineering technology problems;
- Successfully implement theory in one or more core mechanical engineering technology areas of practice in a sustainable manner;
- Work effectively and conduct themselves ethically in their professional environment; and
4. Develop improved skills and new skills to enhance the state of their practice in a dynamic professional environment.
The COTC Engineering Technology Department has adopted the 2014-2015 ABET Criterion 3 Student Outcomes (a-i) as our own Student Outcomes, and have augmented them to include outcomes based on additional required ASME Curriculum Program Criteria (j-k). The resulting list of Student Outcomes is that students will:
- Apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of the discipline to narrowly defined engineering technology activities.
- Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to engineering technology problems that require limited application of principles but extensive practical knowledge.
- Conduct standard tests and measurements, and to conduct, analyze, and interpret experiments related to mechanical engineering technology.
- Demonstrate the ability to function effectively as a member of a technical team.
- Identify, analyze, and solve narrowly defined engineering technology problems.
- Apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature.
- Identify the need for and an ability to engage in self-directed continuing professional development.
- Demonstrate a commitment to address professional and ethical responsibilities, including a respect for diversity.
- Demonstrate a commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement.
Mechanical Engineering Technology Specific:
- Apply the principles of machine/mechanical design, fluid power, thermal and fluid systems.
- Implement, operate, and oversee mechanical systems and processes.