IT Specialist Option Learning Outcomes
Statement of Purpose
The purpose of the Information Technology Specialist option is to prepare qualified individuals for management and support positions in the IT field by providing hands-on training in hardware, software, networking, user support, project management, technology maintenance and trouble-shooting.
At the completion of the Information Technology Specialist plan of study the student will be able to:
- Perform end user support including identifying and implementing solutions to user requests.
- Analyze technical requirements to determine resource requirements and the impact the solution will have on an organization.
- Design, plan, budget and propose an IT project for an identified need within a specific scope.
- Install technical hardware and software including network, database and security components.
- Perform routine maintenance to maintain the currency of an operating system, network, database and security needs.
- Identify and resolve technical problems using trouble-shooting and research techniques.
- Analyze and select application and operating system settings to create an optimal user environment.
Programming & Software Development Option Learning Outcomes
Statement of Purpose
The purpose of the Information Technology Programming and Software Development option is to prepare qualified individuals for entry-level positions in computer related fields by providing hands-on instruction in programming and operations/ administration.
At the completion of the Programming and Software Development plan of study the student will be able to:
- Construct a diagram of a solution which follows structured programming guidelines and produces the expected results.
- Code, test and debug entry-level computer programs using an appropriate computer language and techniques.
- Analyze the current processes in an existing computer program and revise the program so that it performs as required.
- Create an object-oriented class structure, with corresponding properties and methods.
- Create a Web site consisting of several pages, with hyperlink navigation between the pages.
- Create a flexible database schema and analyze the schema to 3rd normal form.
- Design effective and efficient queries to retrieve data from a database.