Human Services Program - Statement of Purpose and Learning Outcomes
Statement of Purpose
The purpose of this program is to prepare qualified individuals for entry-level positions in a wide variety of human services settings serving individuals, families, groups, and communities by providing opportunities for personal and professional growth through knowledge-based learning, experiential processes, community involvement, and practical experience under direct supervision of professionals in local agencies.
To accomplish the stated purpose of the Human Services Program, the following student learning outcomes have been developed.
Upon successful completion of the program, the students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of the human services worker in a variety of social service settings.
- Examine current social issues and their impact on society, including substance abuse & dependence.
- Compare and contrast a variety of family systems and multidimensional systems in relation to human behaviors and the environments.
- Apply interpersonal and group leadership skills in helping relationships.
- Apply case management skills, including documentation, assessment, treatment planning, crisis intervention and the ability to make appropriate referrals.
- Demonstrate the ability to adhere to professional, ethical standards, including confidentiality, sensitivity when working with diverse populations, and responsibility for professional growth.