Culinary Science Statement of Purpose and Learning Outcomes
Statement of Purpose
The Culinary Science Technology Program is designed to provide skills and experiences essential for those who are interested in culinary careers. including work in research and development.
The following outcomes are skills, behaviors, and attitudes cultivated in students seeking the Associate in Applied Science in Culinary Science at Central Ohio Technical College.
- Apply basic chemical and biological principles to the storage, production, consumption, measures of foodstuffs and the promotion of environmentally, sustainable and nutritionally advantageous practices.
- Identify the social and historical contexts that influence, and have influenced, the culinary field using a variety of ingredients, including those important to different culinary cultures worldwide.
- Perform basic cooking techniques (roasting, sautéing, broiling/grilling, stewing, braising, and baking) and knife skills; and operate common restaurant equipment efficiently, effectively, and safely. Learn to use and develop standardized recipes, production sheets, and function sheets.
- Apply basic concepts of menu development, purchasing, inventory control, food storage, and labor cost control. Create and present beverages effectively, and appropriately for various occasions/events and menus.
- Perform the required tasks of conversion, costing, and ordering, using basic computer functions while working professionally in a teamwork environment.
- Use effective oral, written, and non-verbal communication skills; display a positive attitude, a good work ethic, and appropriate professional behavior with coworkers and management.